Friday, June 24, 2011

Charity work makes me less charitable

After the fourth night of Vacation Bible School last night, I was sitting eating mini-tacos and drinking fruit punch while we tried to decide what games to play with the kids for tonight. As we were talking about a hula hoop game, the game leader suggested we give them barbed wire hula hoops.

Electric fence limbo was also suggested, but only after the kids ran through the water sprinkler. I think it's safe to say that we're suffering from burn out.

I've helped with VBS for several years, despite that I don't have kids. I taught Sunday School a couple of years as well. And I'm still surprised by the number of people who don't think it's necessary to pitch in and help with programs that benefit their kids. Do you think I really want to spend my Thursday evening strapping 80 wet kids into harnesses for the zip line after they've been dancing around in a water sprinkler? No. That's the last thing I want to do. I would much rather be sitting on a patio drinking with my friends. But someone has to be there, and I remember the adults who made my VBS years memorable.

So here's to you, old church ladies. I hope you've been sitting on a patio this week boozing it up and playing canasta. Lord knows you earned it after dealing with the hellions me and my friends were back in the '80s.

No comments:

Post a Comment